Thursday, December 2, 2010

#reverb10: One Word

December 1 Prompt: One Word
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?

My word for 2010 was supposed to be “action.” While I did take some baby steps in a few areas, I didn’t really get anywhere. I may have moved a few feet, but generally, I’m still in the same place in my life here in December that I was back in January. With that in mind, I think the word that encapsulates 2010 for me is “stuck.”

I wanted to take action to find a new church home, join a small group, become involved in a ministry there, and read the Word daily. Gratefully, I found a new church home - one that my husband seems to enjoy and has a wonderful children’s ministry. I haven’t quite become invested in CCC yet, though, and my Scripture reading has been sporadic at best.

I wanted to take action when it came to my health. I wanted to exercise regularly, make better food choices, lose weight, and feel more energetic. I ended up losing 4 pounds this year, but I think some of that was baby weight. I’m still not exercising. I still eat the same foods. I don’t drink enough water. I’m tired all the time.

I wanted to take action in order to be a better wife and mother. The biggest step I took in this area was promising myself that I wouldn’t bring work home. I haven’t always kept good on that promise, but in general, it’s helped out our family time. That being said, I had quite an eye-opener recently that shows me I still have a long way to go in this area.

I wanted to take action towards transitioning to a more fulfilling career. I started taking classes towards a massage therapy degree, but that quickly fizzled. I was offered another position in my department, but I turned it down. I have no regrets about that, though, because let’s face it – I’d still be in the same exact department, just with a different boss. In the meantime, I’m stressed, I’m unhappy, and I’m still in this job that does nothing but drain me.

Side story: Yesterday was my mom’s birthday. We had lunch together, as we work across the street from each other. By the time lunch rolled around, I was really cranky. I apologized to her for my bad mood. She said, “It’s ok. You’re always grumpy lately. I can tell you’re stressed and not happy.” I don’t know why, but her comment cut me pretty deeply. I had no idea that I have been so difficult to deal with lately. It just reminded me that I need a change.

Keeping all that in mind, my word for 2011 is “breakthrough!” Baby steps aren’t enough. I need a BREAKTHROUGH to see lasting change in my life. By December 2011, I won’t even recognize this shell of a person I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment