Thursday, December 2, 2010

#reverb10: Writing

December 2 Prompt: Writing
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?

There are three main things I do each day that do not contribute to my writing (or my health): commute to work, watch TV, and work.

1) It usually takes me 45 minutes to an hour to get to work each day. If I didn’t have to spend that time fighting traffic five days a week, I would like to think I would spend that time doing something I love, one of which is writing. I could eliminate this necessary evil if I had a job working closer to home (or working from home!)

2) Even if I’m not “watching” it, the TV is always on. Nick Jr. for Bianca, ESPN for Harry, and Glee, Biggest Loser, and Desperate Housewives for me. This is one distraction that could definitely be eliminated.

3) I spend 8 to 9 hours each day at a desk doing work that doesn’t fulfill me in the least. And when I’m not working, I’m stressing about my to-do list or daydreaming about what my life would be like if I had a different career. I certainly don’t have the opportunity to write as part of my job – unless you count the times I sneak onto my blog. It would be lovely if I could have a job that allowed me to nurture and cultivate my writing.

This prompt reminds me of when Steph told me that I need to shed things that don’t feel like me or the person I want to be anymore. If 2011 is going to be the kind of year I hope it will, there will be lots of shedding taking place!

No comments:

Post a Comment