Friday, January 15, 2010

Sacred Friday

This week, we pondered the word Healing.

Healing. What an incredibly powerful word! Usually when I receive a word, I ponder how it affects my life. This time, I was struck by how universal this word is, and how much everyone needs it.

We are all broken people. We live in a broken world. We are all aching. We are all longing for healing.

God knew what was going to happen to His people and this world before He ever created it, yet He let it all happen. Why? Why would a God who supposedly loves us so much allow such pain and heartache to happen? Why would He allow molestation, rape, devastation through earthquakes, isolation, and murder? How can He sit by and watch His people suffer?

The answer is simple: every tragedy can be turned into good. It is difficult to see good in horrific circumstances. But God wants us to lean on Him. Trust in Him. Live in hope despite the evil in this world. God has promised us riches in heaven. He promises us a new heaven and a new earth. He promises us safety, security, and HEALING if only we cling to Him.

I am passionate about holistic health. I want to achieve total health in mind, body, and spirit. I want others to attain it, too. Did you notice the word HEAL in health? Being completely healthy centers around healing broken parts of ourselves. Many people ponder the purpose in their lives. Ultimately, I think each one of us is on a journey to heal.

This week, Michael W. Smith’s “Healing Rain” has played over and over in my head. When I read about Steph’s foot. When Harry told me there was shooting immediately after his basketball game. When I saw the horrific aftermath of the Haiti earthquake on the news. When I thought of Michele’s miscarriage. When I watched for updates on Natalie’s open-heart surgery, I heard this song.

I have cried so many tears this week. I originally thought it was because I was PMSing. But now I realize I have been crying for the people on this earth. Everyone is hurting. Everyone needs to heal. It makes my heart ache seeing so much pain. I know more than ever that my mission in life is to help people heal…even if in tiny ways.

Healing rain is coming down
It's coming nearer to this old town
Rich and poor, weak and strong
It's bringing mercy, it won't be long


Healing rain is coming down
It's coming closer to the lost and found
Tears of joy, and tears of shame
Are washed forever in Jesus' name


Healing rain, it comes with fire
So let it fall and take us higher
Healing rain, I'm not afraid
To be washed in Heaven's rain


Lift your heads, let us return
To the mercy seat where time began
And in your eyes, I see the pain
Come soak this dry heart with healing rain


And only You, the Son of man
Can take a leper and let him stand
So lift your hands, they can be held
By someone greater, the great I Am


Healing rain, it comes with fire
So let it fall and take us higher
Healing rain, I'm not afraid
To be washed in Heaven's rain


To be washed in Heaven's rain...


Healing rain is falling down
Healing rain is falling down


I'm not afraid
I'm not afraid...

No comments:

Post a Comment