Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hospitality Team - Week 1

This past Sunday was my first day serving on the Hospitality Team at church. I was very excited. I had to be at church at 8:30 AM, but I got there a few minutes early. I met our team leader D in the hallway and got to work right away setting up the coffee and tea stations.

Our next task was to fill up the cups for Communion – bread in the bottom cup and juice in the top cup. The way we’re supposed to fill up the juice is by using a pipette-type of contraption. (I really don’t know the technical term for it – but I’m sure “juice filler-upper” isn’t it!)

I was having no problem using the tool – until D. told me that I was filling the cups too high. Instead of turning my head to look at her, I somehow turned my whole body in such a forceful way that all of my juice went flying. It landed everywhere...on the Communion tray, on the counter, on the floor, and all over D. I was horrified!

I’m not kidding. I was like a deer in headlights. I was so stunned that I couldn’t move. I simply stood there holding my little, dripping contraption, staring at the mess. D had picked up a paper towel and started cleaning up, but I was motionless. She asked, “Do you think you could move your foot a little?” That snapped me back into reality and I quickly started cleaning up, as well.

To make matters worse, D and C had just finished a conversation that went something like this: “B’s son is helping our team today.” “Oh no! Keep him away from the juice!” Guess no one was suspecting that I would have made a similar mess!

Once all the juice was cleaned up, I was able to get through the morning without any more issues. In fact, I was quite an expert at filling the juice cups by the time we had to get the Communion cups ready for the second service.

While everyone was very nice to me despite my little faux pas, you could say that I really made a “splash” during my first week on the Hospitality team! Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment