Monday, August 22, 2011

I've Got A New Attitude!

My attitude coming into work this Monday morning was a bit different than usual. Instead of my normal negative attitude, I brought with me a huge heap of positivity and joy. I don’t have a different position. My job duties are the same. Both my boss and supervisor are scheduled to be in the office. So why the change?

We are currently studying the book of Titus at church. This week we focused on chapter 2. Though we covered a lot of material, the verses that stood out to me the most were 9 & 10: Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.



photo credit

While I am not technically a slave, this passage very much applies to my job. Pastor David asked a simple question: Is the way that you work making God attractive? Do people look at you and want to get to know Jesus better because of you? Are you bringing glory to God through your work?

Sadly, up until now, I think my answer to these questions would be a resounding, “no.”

The great thing about life is the number of second (and third and fourth and fifth….) chances we get. It’s inevitable that we will fail. But that doesn’t mean we can’t get up and try to do it right the next time.

Even though I long to be home raising my daughter, God has other plans for me right now. It’s about time I start honoring Him with my attitude concerning my job. Who knows how many people I have been unknowingly repelling from the Church simply because of my negative attitude? It’s time to start living like one who is drinking from the Living Water. It’s time to honor God with my entire life – my work-outside-the-home job included.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, rejoicing over your heart's change of attitude today!

    ReplyDelete