Thursday, August 2, 2012

Harder the Second Time

This past Sunday we went to a family birthday party.  My cousin's wife had her second child three months ago.  She is a teacher, so she has been home all summer.  She said that going back to work seems so much harder now than it did when her first child was born.  She said she has to say goodbye to her son all over again, and she is leaving her daughter behind, too.  She said it hurt her heart.

I was trying not to dwell on this conversation, but yesterday, after I entered the elevator in my parking garage, a woman I've never seen before asked me when I was due.  I happily told her 23 days.  She congratulated me and said that she had just returned from maternity leave and it was super hard to be back at work.  I asked her if it was first child and she said no, it was her second.  She said, "Coming back the first time was easy.  The second time is so much worse!"

Ugh....It took me close to three years to be at peace with leaving Bianca at home while I worked outside of the home.  Guess I'm going to go through the struggle all over again in a few months.  But at least I know ahead of time and can try to prepare myself mentally for it.  (Though I know that fact won't help what my heart feels!)

No comments:

Post a Comment