Thursday, April 21, 2011

Out with the Old

One of my favorite things to do when it comes time for spring cleaning is to get rid of old things – clothes I no longer wear, books that no longer serve me, clutter that simply collects dust. I like the idea of clearing space for something more beautiful and more nourishing to enter my life.

In the same way, one of my favorite things about being a Christian is the fact that my old life is gone. I am a new creation in Jesus.

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (2 Corinthians 5:17)

The moment I gave my life to Jesus, the Holy Spirit did some heavy-duty spring cleaning in my soul. He saw my sins and swept them away. He scrubbed my mind and polished my heart. He got rid of all the dark spots and he made my spirit shine like new.

But just as my clean house doesn’t stay that way for long (especially with a 19 month old running around!), my soul gets messy again. I’m only human after all, and I fail over and over. Luckily, we serve a loving and forgiving God who gives us chance after chance after chance to start new again. What could be better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment