Thursday, April 14, 2011

Leaving a Legacy of Love

I once completed an exercise that was somewhere along the lines of “Picture yourself at age 85 telling the story of your life. What would the big picture look like?“ I thoroughly enjoyed dreaming of my life, complete with a satisfying and happy marriage, well-adjusted and healthy children, church, service, travel, a meaningful job, close friendships, tons of fun and a beach cottage.

But when it comes down to it, if I could only be remembered for one thing, I would want that thing to be love. Despite my mistakes, despite my failures, despite my successes, despite my job title, I want to make a difference in other people’s lives. I want people to remember me – not for anything I did, but for how much I loved them. I want to be remembered for the hugs I offered when there were no words to speak. For the tears I cried with them in both happy and sad times. For the little words of encouragement I spoke that made their darkest days just a tad brighter. For believing in their dreams, even when they stopped believing in themselves. For knowing when to let go when it was the kindest thing I could do. For seeing their beauty and potential when everyone else turned their backs. For loving them on the days they felt the most unlovable.

When my time on earth has come to an end, I simply want my love to live on. I want to love others the way that God loves me.

7 comments:

  1. Carey,
    I totally agree with your post. I often feel that God put me here to encourage others, to be a light. I try. One of my favorite songs is Legacy by Nichole Nordeman, which is about leaving a legacy. Blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. I wish I knew more clearly what I would want to be remembered for or be able to picture myself at that age telling the story of my life. To tell you the truth, I don't think I would want to live that long anyway. I'd rather not be here to tell a story.

    The Madlab Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely relate to wanting to be remembered for being a loving person. I love making a difference in other people's lives, and I always hope each day that it shows regardless of anything else.

    What an insightful post! It's a pleasure to meet you via the A-Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carey, sounds like you are well on your way to achieving your life goal and purpose. I loved your post.

    Sharon (another A to Z Challenger)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The older I get the less I care about a lot of things. I want to be remembered as one who cared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think most writers wish to get published so they could leave behind some kind of written legacy.:P great post. wonderful meeting you through the a-z
    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete