Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Living with Intention

Even though I had planned to write about living with intention every day in the month of October, sadly, it doesn’t look like this exercise will come to fruition.

One of my co-workers commented to me the other day, “You say you have no time, and I believe it. You work non-stop, you go to school, you work with a trainer, you go to your moms’ group, you are involved at church, you blog, and every weekend, you seem to have something planned. I don’t know how you manage take care of your husband and daughter in that schedule.” This passing comment from a mere acquaintance has been lingering in my head.


I am well aware what Titus 2, 1 Timothy 3 and Proverbs 31 say. I know that my priority – my life’s main ministry and calling – is to take care of my husband, my children, and my home. So why am I doing everything but what God has commanded me to do?

In this season of fall, I am taking a good, hard look at my life. Evaluating all of my activities and questioning whether they are the best use of my time. After all, if my family is being neglected at the expense of my busyness, then clearly something needs to change. Harry and Bianca are the best parts of my life, and I don’t want them questioning that fact.

Last night during my small group, the ladies who were gathered tried to make me feel better by saying, “You are providing for your family.” I still beg to wonder, though, am I providing them with the things that truly matter?

At Women of Faith, Steph and I heard a message about pruning. Just as it’s important to prune a rose bush to make it grow fuller, it is also important to cut things, people, activities, practices, etc from our lives that are restricting our growth into the people that God calls us to be.

I think it’s time for my pruning to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment