Thursday, August 13, 2009

Week 37


Huge news this week: I’m carrying a full-term baby! If I were to go into labor today, all systems would be a go. Woo hoo! In the meantime, Bianca's busy practicing for life on the outside, working on her breathing, sucking, sleeping, gazing and peeing abilities. The only thing she can't practice yet is her ability to scream at the top of her lungs when she's hungry. (Good thing – I don’t want her to get too good at that one!) At this point babies vary in size, but the average length is 20 inches and most weigh approximately 7 pounds.

I’m still feeling great overall, although I’m getting to the uncomfortable stage. This morning my lower back is sore, my left hip is sore, my shoulders are sore, and my feet hurt. I’ve also been very tired this week. That said, I still consider myself very lucky. I have had a very easy pregnancy so far.

I’m looking forward to this weekend. Saturday is Bonnie’s baby shower in Salisbury, and then on Sunday, I will finally be able to enjoy a day at the beach. We haven’t been all summer, and it’s killing me. I am dying to smell the combination of salty air, suntan lotion, and summertime treats. I long to bury my feet in the sand, feel the warm sun kiss my skin, and cool off in the waves. I want to close my eyes and listen to the seagulls, kids laughing, the crashing waves, the lifeguard flags, and the hum of airplanes flying by. Ocean City is the place where I can go and forget the world. I have so many great memories there – the best one being last September when I married the love of my life in the presence of our closest friends and family. The point of all this rambling is to say I’m really, really, really looking forward to this weekend!

I’m starting to get a little nervous on the pediatrician front. I feel like we are a little bit behind in the process. Harry and I have narrowed down our top three choices. Of the three, one is not accepting new patients. I called and left a message for the second, but haven’t heard back yet. My friend Andrea told me yesterday that she called three offices, and all three were not accepting new patients. She finally found someone on the fourth try. I’m hoping that we can find someone relatively soon. That would be one less thing to worry about.

This entire time I have been saying that I would work up until the point I go into labor, just so I could save my maternity leave for when Bianca gets here. This morning was the first time I contemplated taking a week off before labor starts. I almost feel like my body needs to rest, heal, prepare, and enjoy a calm BEFORE the baby gets here. The problem with that is I have no idea when labor will actually start. My due date is three weeks away – but you never know when our Little Miracle will decide to make her Big Entrance. She could be early, or more than likely, she could be late. Who knows? Maybe I will take a couple of sick days in between then and now just to sleep and clear my head.

With only 21 days to go until my due date, I am getting very excited. I just wish I had the energy to go along with it. When is “nesting” energy supposed to kick in? I could use some about now!

1 comment:

  1. A little time off before the baby is here sounds wonderful! Sleep glorious sleep. LOL
    I tried to post a comment yesterday but Blogger likes to act up occasionally so my comment about "it's a boy" is late LOL! I thought for sure (and a split second) you guys had the baby and it was boy. I'm gullible what can I say.
    And I'm so happy to hear that everything is going so well and uneventful with your pregnancy..but isn't being pregnant a grand even in and of itself? I love your updates and I can't wait to hear about your next appointment. Have a GREAT weekend! =)

    ReplyDelete