Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bianca is Here!!

We are finally home from the hospital, and I am overjoyed! I am a bit tired, and I don't have the energy to write much, but here is the brief version of our Miracle's birth story.

I went into the hospital Sunday night around 8:00. I was still only 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Instead of repeating the gels, they inserted a medicine called Cervadil for 12 hours. I was checked after that time period, and I had only made it to 1.5 cm and 90% effaced. Dr. London broke my water and started me on Pitocin at that point. I labored until around 8:00 PM. When she checked me again, I had made it to 5 cm dilated.

There was an issue with Bianca's heart rate, though. It was extremely low, and at times, Dr. London couldn't find the rate at all. Dr. London tried to push her head out of the birth canal and back into my uterus, and the heart rate went up just a little. She said that it was bad news because that meant the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck. Because the baby was in distress, I had to have an emergency c-section. I was a bit nervous because once they ordered the stat operation, the room filled with people, I was given an oxygen mask, my mother was crying, and I was being rushed into the operating room.

It all ended up wonderfully, though. Bianca Ruth Martin was born Monday, September 14th at 8:39 PM. She weighed 7 lbs 10 oz and was 20.5 inches long. She looks just like her Daddy! She is the most beautiful creature I have ever seen!






3 comments:

  1. She is so beautiful!!!! Oh wow huge congratulations to you two!!! I hope you're recovering nicely and enjoying your beautiful family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! My second son (now almost 16 and taller than I am) was also delivered by emergency Caesarian after a day of labor, and on account of a prolapsed cord. Your account took me right back!

    God bless your new family,
    Karen Welbourn

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Carey!I am so happy for you and Harry. Little Bianca is so adorable! I'm sorry you had an emergency c-section. I'm sure it was scary at first. I hope you are recovering well...please, please make sure you drink plenty of water and continue taking stool softener...trust me! Post C-section constipation is horrible!
    Can't wait to see guys.

    ReplyDelete