Thursday, April 23, 2009

Week 21


I cannot believe that we are more than half-way through this pregnancy! In approximately 19 weeks, we will be holding our Little Miracle in our arms. I still can’t fully wrap my head around that fact yet. Our life as we know it will be changing dramatically very soon.

I’m still not sure if I’ve felt the baby move yet. Last night, after eating ice cream, I felt what could have been tiny kicks. But as Harry said, “it could also be the ice cream.” I may have felt them again this morning as I was lying in bed, but it’s hard to be sure. I guess I’m not really sure what I’m supposed to be feeling. I’m hoping that sometime soon I can start to recognize movement without a doubt.

This is what our Little One is up to this week: He/she gulps down several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for hydration and nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. And, these days, those taste buds actually work. Studies show that after birth, babies are most interested in tastes they've already experienced through amniotic fluid. Meaning, I am supposed to think about what I want my future child to eat as I prepare my own meals. As I look at the bag of Fruit Loops on my desk and recall all the ice cream and Easter candy I have been eating lately, I have a feeling our baby will be a sugar addict, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment