Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New Job

I won't go into all the details here, but I have decided to start a new job. It's not exactly official yet. While my two new bosses have identified me as the top candidate and have offered me a nice salary, it's all up to H.R. to make the final decision. Not only if I can be hired, but also what my salary will be. I trust that God has everything under control, though, so I'm not too worried about it.

I informed my supervisor of the offer, and while I thought she would come back with a counter offer to intice me to stay, all she said was, "Congratulations." She also told me that she thought I should take the position. Not only would it be a raise, it would also look better on my resume. There is no room for growth in the Malaria Section, but there is plenty of room to grow both in the CVD and the University at large. She said I would be silly to turn my back on such a great opportunity. She only asked that I help them transition.

I haven't broken the news to my boss yet, as he is traveling. He will be back in the office on Friday, though, so I have to get up my nerve before then. I think he will be disappointed. I'm just not quite sure what his reaction will be.

The good news is my new boss is a complete sweetheart. She already said that she feels guilty "stealing" me from Malaria. I know that she will allow me to assist my current boss as long as everyone deems appropriate. She also wants to sit down with my boss to make sure that everyone is on the same page and that no bridges have been burned. She is very much a Momma Hen!

I know that some people - especially my wonderful co-pilot - will question my decision. After all, in a previous post, I said that I wouldn't be taking the job if it was offered to me. But after I weighed all the pros and cons, it just seemed to make sense to make the move. What's more, I prayed about it for days, and when I walked into my Department Administrator's office this morning with the news, I felt a complete peace. I know I am exactly where I'm meant to be.

Perhaps it's because I won't be finished the massage program for another two years (and that's assuming I get into the program!), but I'm not feeling quite as urgent and unsettled about my career anymore. I'm actually feeling quite zen. And I'm wondering if Public Health somehow fits into my love of Holistic Health. Maybe there is a way to combine the two, and maybe I have been on the correct career path all along! I have to ponder that some more....

So, as long as H.R. approves, you are now looking at the new Vaccine Testing and Evaluation Unit Coordinator at University of Maryland's Center for Vaccine Development. Sounds a little better than administrative assistant, huh? Yeah, I thought so, too.

2 comments:

  1. Well Carey, CONGRATULATIONS! That's awesome!!!! And yeah, I think the two connect.. I can see that! You are so meant to be in the holistic/medical field. You love helping other people and now you're dealing with vaccines. Very important job. I am so impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great Carey! I hope everything pans out for you! Once it does and you're happy with where you are in your career I know your smile will grow greatly! That's something I've always wished for you--Complete happiness.
    Congrats in advance and good luck!

    ReplyDelete