Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sick and Tired

I used to blame my pregnancy on being tired and achy all the time.  But here I am four months postpartum and I still feel tired and achy pretty much every day.  I experience fatigue, bloating, cramping, nausea, headaches, itchy skin and eyes, and joint and muscle aches on a daily basis.  Frankly, I'm tired of living like this.  I'm only in my early 30s; I should be feeling vibrant and alive, not the complete opposite.

When I brought up my concerns with my doctor a few years ago, she pretty much just said I feel so miserable because I'm overweight.  She encouraged me to exercise and eat better and sent me on my way.

Believe me - I am well aware that I am carrying extra baggage.  And I have definitely tried to lose the excess weight.  Before my wedding, I was exercising and eating right, and I only lost a total of 6 pounds in a 6-month period.  Last year, I was working out with a personal trainer and eating better, and I only lost 7 pounds in a 4-month period.  No matter how much effort I put into it, I can't seem to lose the many pounds I desperately need to shed.

At that last doctor's visit, I was really hoping that she would run some tests, like checking my thyroid or searching for any food sensitivities.  Instead she made me feel like I was nothing but a fat, tired, achy hypochondriac.  So I ignored my symptoms and went on with life.

Now that I have ventured out on my wellness journey, however, I know I can't ignore my body's cries for help anymore.  So I've decided to search for a new primary care doctor.  One who will actually listen to my concerns and help me figure out what's wrong with me.  (At least physically!  lol)  Then we can make a plan to address any issues, and I will be well on my way to a healthier version of myself. 

My initial reaction is to seek out a naturopathic doctor, but unfortunately, my health insurance only covers conventional medicine interventions.  My friend Chelle recommended I see a D.O. instead of an M.D. because their approach is more holistic.  I think I'm leaning that way, but I need to find one with good recommendations first.

No matter what, it's my goal to get a physical - with a complete blood workup - by February 1st.  I owe it to myself.  And I so desperately want to feel better.

3 comments:

  1. You totally owe it to yourself! If you can, find a good massage therapist, too! Don't forget though, 4 months postpartum is not a whole lot of time. Hormones are out of whack for at least a year after giving birth. But, you brought up your thyroid and I can't deny that that's a great point- something could be "off". Especially since it's so hard to lose weight. For what it's worth- you are not a fat, tired and achy hypochondriac. It's just that the doctor is lazy. You looked amazing when I saw you last month. You have a beautiful glow, even if you are exhausted. And rightfully so! You have 2 very little ones!!! It gets better. I promise!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking that one step forward to knowing you want to better yourself is a HUGE step!
    I can say I feel the same way and I know it's because I've regained unnecessary weight again. After the new year I'm working my ass off to get back to what I NEED to be.
    I am so proud of you for working toward doing what you feel most comfortable with regarding your physician. It's crazy just how our insurances cover medication, but not natural remedies.
    I wish you a ton of luck and know that I'm here for you if you need to have a shoulder to lean upon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. satta king When you have a terrific photo opportunity, don't let the moment pass and lose the photo while you are busy adjusting settings. However, you should not preset your camera, which lets your camera choose the settings itself. Know your camera well and use the settings that allow you to have the most control over your shots while still allowing you to adjust them in an easy and timely manner. play bazaar

    ReplyDelete