Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sick and Tired

I used to blame my pregnancy on being tired and achy all the time.  But here I am four months postpartum and I still feel tired and achy pretty much every day.  I experience fatigue, bloating, cramping, nausea, headaches, itchy skin and eyes, and joint and muscle aches on a daily basis.  Frankly, I'm tired of living like this.  I'm only in my early 30s; I should be feeling vibrant and alive, not the complete opposite.

When I brought up my concerns with my doctor a few years ago, she pretty much just said I feel so miserable because I'm overweight.  She encouraged me to exercise and eat better and sent me on my way.

Believe me - I am well aware that I am carrying extra baggage.  And I have definitely tried to lose the excess weight.  Before my wedding, I was exercising and eating right, and I only lost a total of 6 pounds in a 6-month period.  Last year, I was working out with a personal trainer and eating better, and I only lost 7 pounds in a 4-month period.  No matter how much effort I put into it, I can't seem to lose the many pounds I desperately need to shed.

At that last doctor's visit, I was really hoping that she would run some tests, like checking my thyroid or searching for any food sensitivities.  Instead she made me feel like I was nothing but a fat, tired, achy hypochondriac.  So I ignored my symptoms and went on with life.

Now that I have ventured out on my wellness journey, however, I know I can't ignore my body's cries for help anymore.  So I've decided to search for a new primary care doctor.  One who will actually listen to my concerns and help me figure out what's wrong with me.  (At least physically!  lol)  Then we can make a plan to address any issues, and I will be well on my way to a healthier version of myself. 

My initial reaction is to seek out a naturopathic doctor, but unfortunately, my health insurance only covers conventional medicine interventions.  My friend Chelle recommended I see a D.O. instead of an M.D. because their approach is more holistic.  I think I'm leaning that way, but I need to find one with good recommendations first.

No matter what, it's my goal to get a physical - with a complete blood workup - by February 1st.  I owe it to myself.  And I so desperately want to feel better.

2 comments:

  1. You totally owe it to yourself! If you can, find a good massage therapist, too! Don't forget though, 4 months postpartum is not a whole lot of time. Hormones are out of whack for at least a year after giving birth. But, you brought up your thyroid and I can't deny that that's a great point- something could be "off". Especially since it's so hard to lose weight. For what it's worth- you are not a fat, tired and achy hypochondriac. It's just that the doctor is lazy. You looked amazing when I saw you last month. You have a beautiful glow, even if you are exhausted. And rightfully so! You have 2 very little ones!!! It gets better. I promise!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking that one step forward to knowing you want to better yourself is a HUGE step!
    I can say I feel the same way and I know it's because I've regained unnecessary weight again. After the new year I'm working my ass off to get back to what I NEED to be.
    I am so proud of you for working toward doing what you feel most comfortable with regarding your physician. It's crazy just how our insurances cover medication, but not natural remedies.
    I wish you a ton of luck and know that I'm here for you if you need to have a shoulder to lean upon. <3

    ReplyDelete