Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Job Update

I think a couple of posts ago, I mentioned that I would be applying for a Coordinator position. As an update, I did apply, but I don't think it is worth it. Number 1, if you consider the money that HHMI is putting into my retirement account (not matching, but just giving me), I really make $44,000. Moving up to $48,000 is not that big of a jump, especially when I will be putting some of that money into retirement. Plus HHMI gives me benefit credits. If I don't use them all (which I never do), the extra money gets paid out in my check.

Moreover, the job is right around the corner from my current job. Literally right around the corner, in the same building. I think it would be a bit awkward seeing my boss and my supervisor every day if I changed jobs.

I'd be losing my tenure with HHMI and starting over as a state employee. I wouldn't be able to take time off for a while. And I am now at the point with my supervisor that I can leave every day at 4:30. In my new position, I may not always be able to leave, depending on what's going on.

I'm not sure what my chances are of getting the job, but in the end, I don't think the "Coordinator" title is worth it.

BUT...I also applied for another job on the UMB campus. It is for an Office Manager of the University Athletic Center. I got so excited when I saw the job. I know that if I got it, the experience I would gain would be extremely helpful when I finally open Circle's End. And I wouldn't have to see my current boss and supervisor every day. And "Manager" is definitely a huge step from "Assistant." Again, I don't know what my chances are of getting it, but I would really appreciate everyone's prayers and positive thoughts in this area!

1 comment:

  1. I wish you tons of luck Carey! I can definitely understand your thoughts on losing seniority for only 4K a year, plus something that could stress you much more. Sounds like if you were to get that job it may be something you think twice about accepting.
    With the job as a manager I hope you do get an offer. Anything to see you happy is something worth accepting.
    Good luck sweetie! <3

    ReplyDelete